Securities Regulators Across the Globe are Promoting Investor Education and Protection.
The International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) today launched its first World Investor Week (WIW). A bell-ringing ceremony at the Tokyo Stock Exchange marked the start of this week-long campaign to promote greater investor education and protection worldwide that will run from today, October 2nd, through October 8th.
Throughout the week, securities regulators and other stakeholders from more than 70 countries across the globe are providing a variety of activities to increase the awareness of investor education and protection in their own jurisdictions. Activities vary from publications of investor-focused communications, to the organization of workshops and conferences, to local/national investor education campaigns and contests. The dedicated campaign website www.worldinvestorweek.org provides details on the various participating authorities and important international organizations supporting this effort.
Ashley Alder, Chair of the IOSCO Board and the Chief Executive Officer of the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission, said, “The wide variety of global activity in response to IOSCO´s first WIW is encouraging and goes to show the importance of investor education and protection and the need to bring this in the spotlight.”
Paul Andrews, IOSCO Secretary General, said, “Many of the activities that are taking place are centred around the campaign’s key messages that relate to the desired behaviour, skillset and attitude of a smart investor. Continuing to raise awareness is critical not only to investors, but to market participants and regulators as well.”
A Smart Investor
• Verifies that an investment professional is licensed
• Conducts research on a product before investing
• Assesses the impact of fees when choosing an investment
• Understands that risk exists in all investments
• Avoids “get rich quick” and “can’t lose” schemes
• Recognizes the power of compound interest
• Recognizes the importance of diversification
• Plans for and invests according to his/her future needs and goals
• Recognizes the benefit of long-term, regular and diversified investment
Last modified: October 2, 2017